Is it possible to create new levels from a 3d model ?

Discuss thaw modding, post your own, share your ideas, ask questions.
ProSkater

Is it possible to create new levels from a 3d model ?

Postby ProSkater » Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 pm

i totally love tony hawks games , but i got fed up of the same levels and the park editor is somehow sucks , you cant even place something on the grass ... so is it possible to create totally new maps and make them selectable in the menu ? or is there an ingame map editor like thug2 ? i really like these games but all the new they are not making them for pc ... also they are downhill .. no free roaming around the cities :(
ProHad

Re: Is it possible to create new levels from a 3d model ?

Postby ProHad » Tue May 24, 2011 4:26 pm

It's possible, but you'll need to create the for converting the models yourself.
Morten1337

Postby Morten1337 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 pm

Yes, but its not an easy job.

The basic geometry would be the "easiest" part, but for levels we also need a collision file, which is a whole another story!
..easiest does NOT mean its easy in any way! Just creating a simple model with 4 verts, is a pain.

http://imageshack.us/m/155/7576/gmthug2 ... 522213.png :lick:

EDIT: Now that i see this is for thaw, i must add that you'll also need to compress the files afterwards.
Don't think anyone have done this yet? (pak?)
Active

Postby Active » Wed May 25, 2011 6:48 am

wanna make a converter ? :p
ProSkater

Postby ProSkater » Wed May 25, 2011 1:42 pm

Morten1337 wrote:Yes, but its not an easy job.

The basic geometry would be the "easiest" part, but for levels we also need a collision file, which is a whole another story!
..easiest does NOT mean its easy in any way! Just creating a simple model with 4 verts, is a pain.

http://imageshack.us/m/155/7576/gmthug2 ... 522213.png :lick:

EDIT: Now that i see this is for thaw, i must add that you'll also need to compress the files afterwards.
Don't think anyone have done this yet? (pak?)

i like your mod for thug2 :D hmm i dont know anything about modding tony hawks games actually but i really would like a new map maker to convert old maps from tony hawks games and create new maps and add them in the menu and the maps will be able to import custom sketchup models and you also able to add all models from other cities... skyboxes..buildings...etc.. maybe queen bee will compress?
Morten1337

Postby Morten1337 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 pm

ProSkater wrote:i like your mod for thug2 :D hmm i dont know anything about modding tony hawks games actually but i really would like a new map maker to convert old maps from tony hawks games and create new maps and add them in the menu and the maps will be able to import custom sketchup models and you also able to add all models from other cities... skyboxes..buildings...etc.. maybe queen bee will compress?

I understand. This will probably not happen in thaw, it could be possible in thug2, but it's alot of work. Also the 3d data is changed after thug1. So the older th games have different 3d data files. If we could parse the files right, it would be possible to change that hopefully...

Although the only thing i could think of for thaw is changing skyboxes;
just run the LoadScene with the arguments
Scene = "Scene Name". ex "HO_sky" or "BH_sky" :)
ProSkater

Postby ProSkater » Thu May 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Morten1337 wrote:
ProSkater wrote:i like your mod for thug2 :D hmm i dont know anything about modding tony hawks games actually but i really would like a new map maker to convert old maps from tony hawks games and create new maps and add them in the menu and the maps will be able to import custom sketchup models and you also able to add all models from other cities... skyboxes..buildings...etc.. maybe queen bee will compress?

I understand. This will probably not happen in thaw, it could be possible in thug2, but it's alot of work. Also the 3d data is changed after thug1. So the older th games have different 3d data files. If we could parse the files right, it would be possible to change that hopefully...

Although the only thing i could think of for thaw is changing skyboxes;
just run the LoadScene with the arguments
Scene = "Scene Name". ex "HO_sky" or "BH_sky" :)

thanks :) lol but i dont understand anything what do you mean by LoadScene ... so there isnt any hope to get a new map maker for thaw from sketchup models ?
ProSkater

Postby ProSkater » Thu May 26, 2011 4:06 pm

hey i found a cool idea :D theres a game called Disney's Extremely Goofy Skateboarding , its abit old but we can do is catch all the models from all tony hawks pc games and then import them to a 1 level in that game :D we can catch it with 3d ripper dx , then import all the maps in one new map for that game , and adding new maps for that game seems to be easy you can open the map files and all the data with winrar , then edit the textures , and then open all the files with notepad they are readable , and the models are blender i think theres a level txt files you just add you own :D they are .ase files ... the models of the map :D
ProHad

Postby ProHad » Thu May 26, 2011 4:43 pm

ProSkater wrote:hey i found a cool idea :D theres a game called Disney's Extremely Goofy Skateboarding , its abit old but we can do is catch all the models from all tony hawks pc games and then import them to a 1 level in that game :D we can catch it with 3d ripper dx , then import all the maps in one new map for that game , and adding new maps for that game seems to be easy you can open the map files and all the data with winrar , then edit the textures , and then open all the files with notepad they are readable , and the models are blender i think theres a level txt files you just add you own :D they are .ase files ... the models of the map :D

Still not as simple as you think, you need to rewrite the collision files to work with that game's engine, which will be a time consuming task. You will most likely need to remap most of textures to fit with the way the game reads them as well.
sMo0g™

Postby sMo0g™ » Thu May 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Hm :)
I look at map files(z_ho.qb...) in queen bee and i see more "image" files and other files (maybe it's scirpts :hmm: ) i can export this image files and convert in "normal" image file, and back. But, i don't understand what is other files hmm. Maybe C++ Script or hm?
ProSkater

Postby ProSkater » Thu May 26, 2011 5:25 pm

sMo0g™ wrote:Hm :)
I look at map files(z_ho.qb...) in queen bee and i see more "image" files and other files (maybe it's scirpts :hmm: ) i can export this image files and convert in "normal" image file, and back. But, i don't understand what is other files hmm. Maybe C++ Script or hm?

when i open queenbee it says access to the file is denied when i choose the files and it worked the first time but when i want to extract the image it says access denied ? i tryed using it as an administrator
ProSkater

Postby ProSkater » Thu May 26, 2011 5:29 pm

ProSkater wrote:
sMo0g™ wrote:Hm :)

when i open queenbee it says access to the file is denied when i choose the files and it worked the first time but when i want to extract the image it says access denied ? i tryed using it as an administrator

also i dont know why when i extract the file on desktop like an image from there it extract it as wpc and not the image but i chose an image in queen bee ?
ProSkater

Postby ProSkater » Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 am

Morten1337 , its impossible to import sketchup models and create new levels in thaw or you dont know how ? if its impossible maybe you can try doing it for thug2 :) i dont know why the new tony hawk games are not releasing for pc :( there is skate 3 for ps3 seems to be a nice game ....
sMo0g™

Postby sMo0g™ » Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm

For edit this image files you must extract it as name like this: myimage.img.wpc
And next you must use img2tga and tga2img for convert and edit this. I used img2tga and i see level textures in image when i convert it. But i don't try tga2img and import this. :hmm:

Return to “THAW modding”