Xbox and no Ethernet cable is long enough to

Discuss thaw modding, post your own, share your ideas, ask questions.
brozaanika

Xbox and no Ethernet cable is long enough to

Postby brozaanika » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:52 am

I am getting a 360 soon and am an online player. I have a home computer but it is on a completely different floor than my Xbox and no Ethernet cable is long enough to connect to it. But, I have a laptop that runs off the router's wireless internet that is less than 10 feet away from where the Xbox 360 would be. Is it possible to just run the Ethernet cable to the laptop and not have to worry about buying another router? Thanks for all your answers.
Last edited by brozaanika on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhoElseButMe

Re: Xbox and no Ethernet cable is long enough to

Postby WhoElseButMe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:06 am

bridge the wifi and wired ethernet on the laptop and get a patch cable, that should work.
WhoElseButMe on Nov 26, 2009 wrote:It's that lack of respect amongst their peers and ignorance towards modding etiquette that keeps us who know this stuff well from spreading it like wild fire. We do still enjoy playing the game and if you need to cheat to play a game PLAY SOMETHING ELSE YOU DON'T SUCK AT.
TNT

Re: Xbox and no Ethernet cable is long enough to

Postby TNT » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:49 pm

1. If you're running Windows 7, go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings (option is on the left side).
2. Right Click 'Wireless Network Connection' and select 'Properties'
3. Click the 'Sharing' tab, then click the checkbox that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection"

Now, you should either see:
- Two checkboxes, both checked. If this is the case, click 'OK'
- Two checkboxes, both checked, and a drop down menu. If this is the case, select 'Local Area Connection' (or whatever your ethernet port appears as) and then click 'OK'

Now, 'Wireless Network Connection' should say:
something, Shared - and this should be right under where it says 'Wireless Network Connection.'

(The 'something' is your SSID, the name that your router is broadcasting. Examples: 2Wire211, Linksys, Netgear, or any custom SSID you may be using. If you don't know what an SSID is, don't even worry about it, just look for it to say 'Shared.')

Now, you can connect an ethernet cord from your laptop to the back of your Xbox 360, and it will connect to Xbox Live without any problems or issues. You'll easily run 90% of online games, including games like Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. There are issues, however, with some titles like Call of Duty, which require an Open NAT Type for Matchmaking features, but this can be fixed later with a little time on Google and some patience. This method works for everything from old PC's to PS4s and Xbox Ones. This is the method I used to play Playstation 2 online from ages 16 to 18, and never had issues. I've used the same thing many times to update my modded 360 console, and taught the same method to many friends in real life, so that they could play online too.

This method is not 'Bridging,' it is Sharing. I highly recommend this method, because bridging can create frustrating problems, like losing your PC connection while using the 360 (something that can be fixed, but why bother when you can literally just click a couple of buttons and connect within five minutes?).

If you're not running Windows 7, but you are running XP, Vista, or 8, it's the same exact method from step 2 until the end. The only difference is the options you select in Control Panel to eventually land yourself at 'Change Adapter Settings.' I hope this helps.
http://TNThps.us - THPS Xbox 360 Mods/Tutorials, Original Xbox Mods, Playstation 2 Codes/Files, Gamecube Mods, THUGPro Mods!!

Return to “THAW modding”